Use the research you have gathered to write a seven-paragraph essay about your chosen career.
1. Begin with an introductory paragraph stating who you are and your career plans. Explain why you are interested in your career.
2. Your second paragraph and third paragraphs should summarize the information you found in the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) ( https://www.careeronestop.org/ExploreCareers/explore-careers.aspx )Links to an external site. and the second source (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. you chose. Write about the salary, job outlook, a brief description of the job’s responsibilities and the required education.
3. If you are utilizing an interview as a source, be sure to include interesting quotes from the person you talked to about the nature of the work. You may want to include advice you got during the interview. If you are not using an interview as a source, you may want to talk in detail about your educational plans in this paragraph (What steps will you take? What tests will you take?). Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!
4. Now it’s time to talk about your financial future according to the Texas Reality Check (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. report. Describe the lifestyle you intend to live, list the total monthly expenses and annual salary you will need to cover your expenses. Discuss whether the national average salary listed in the OOH will cover your expenses. Does the job pay more in Houston according to TRC? If it doesn’t, describe what steps you will take to deal with this situation. If you will have excess income, talk about that.
5. Compare the annual salary you will need to live in Houston to the salary you would need to live the same lifestyle in three other cities. Use the information from the CNN Money Calculator (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Discuss that comparison. Tell the reader why you would like to live in the different locations. If family, groceries, housing or transportation are significant factors, write about that. If your career is dependent on location, tell the reader about that.
6. Write about how you can help your community as you learn the transferable “soft skills” employers are looking for while volunteering, participating in Service Learning or working at an internship. Use the information you found at http://Volunteermatch.org (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to write this paragraph.
7. As a conclusion, write your long-term career goal into a paragraph. State what your goal is and by what date you plan to achieve it. Tell the reader three specific steps you will take to make the goal a reality. Acknowledge obstacles that will get in your way and say what you plan to do about those. End your essay with a narrative statement describing what your life will look like and how you will feel when you reach your goal.
Your essay must be typed, double-spaced, and formatted according to APA or MLA style. You must create a title page (only if you are using the APA format) and a reference page according to APA or MLA style. When you use data from your research, you must follow that data with in-text citations. See the examples provided and use the citation generators suggested. Your teacher will provide a grading rubric to follow.
Submission: You will submit a printed copy of your essay with the final page being a separate page of references.
*HCC Writing Center tutors are available on campus to help you with this assignment. Upswing (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.is HCC’s online tutoring service that may be of help as well. Students are encouraged to write a rough draft early, proofread your work and correct mistakes, then go see the tutors for help, and rewrite this assignment before turning it in. Every writer needs an editor.
Before you write do these things:
_____ Occupational Outlook Handbook (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. information printed out and annotated.
_____ Career information from one additional source (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. printed out and annotated or (Extra credit for in-person interview; see Step 2.)
_____Texas Reality Check (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Completed with monthly expenses and “annual salary needed” budget information printed.
_____ CNN cost of living (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. comparison for Houston and three other cities printed out.
_____ http://Volunteermatch.org (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. notes or printouts about three organizations in the Houston area where you might volunteer
_____ A SMART goal written for your long-term career goal using worksheet in assignment.
Your Essay Checklist
_____ Introduction states educational goals and why writer is interested in this career.
_____ Essay contains information on salary, job outlook and education required.
_____ Essay describes working conditions and nature of work in this career.
_____ Essay describes the lifestyle the writer intends to live after graduation including the monthly expenses and annual salary needed.
_____ Essay compares the annual salary needed to maintain lifestyle in Houston to three other cities using the CNN money data.
_____ Writer provides rationale for choosing where to live based on job opportunity, personal preferences, budget or other reasons.
_____ Essay discusses the value of volunteering and/or Service Learning at three interest or career-related organizations in Houston.
_____ Essay describes the transferrable employment “soft skills” needed for career and how these may be learned.
_____ Conclusion includes long-term goal date, three action steps, obstacles and tells what the writer plans to do about obstacles.
_____ Essay end with a narrative statement about what the writer’s life will be like once he/she reaches his/her career goal.
_____ Citations for research data compiled as Reference page for the sources listed above using APA or MLA style. (Your professor will specify which style you should use.)
Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!