The role of management consultancy in implementing operations management in the public sector
For this Discussion, you will evaluate the purpose statements in assigned journal articles in your discipline and consider the alignment of theory, problem, and purpose.
You will also explain your position on the relationship between research and social change.
Alignment means that a research study possesses clear and logical connections among all of its various components. To achieve these connections, researchers must carefully craft the components of their study such that when they are viewed together, there is a coherent interrelationship.
Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!
As you read the authors’ purpose statements, consider how well the intent of the study, and its connection to the problem and theoretical framework, is presented. Also consider if the purpose statement reveals the study’s potential for engendering positive social change.
Radnor, Z., & O’Mahoney, J. (2013). The role of management consultancy in implementing operations management in the public sector. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 33(11), 1555–1578.
Post a critique of the research study in which you:
- Evaluate the purpose statement using the Purpose Statement Checklistas a guide
- Analyze alignment among the theory, research problem, and purpose
- Explain your position on the relationship between research and social change
Purpose Statement Checklist
Use the following criteria to evaluate an author’s purpose statement. Look for indications of the following:
- Does the statement begin with signaling words?
- Does the statement identify the research approach (quantitative, qualitative, or mixed)?
- Does the statement clearly state the intent of the study?
- Does the statement mention the participants?
- Does the statement mention the research site?
- Is the statement framed in a way that is consistent with the identified problem? If the study is qualitative, does the purpose statement do as follows?
- Focus on a single phenomenon
- Use an action verb to convey how learning will take place
- Use neutral, nondirectional language
- Provide a general definition of the central phenomenon If the study is quantitative, does the purpose statement do as follows?
- Identify the variables under study
- Provide a general definition of each key variable • Use words that connect the variables
- Identify a theory If the study is mixed methods, does the purpose statement do as follows?
- Discuss the reason(s) for mixing both quantitative and qualitative data
- Include the characteristics of a good qualitative purpose statement (as listed above)
- Include the characteristics of a good quantitative purpose statement (as listed above) • Indicate the specific method of collecting both quantitative and qualitative data