Supreme Court Oral Argument Assignment
1. See syllabus for course grading process.
2. Incorrect assignment, missing assignment, or no assignment submitted by the date due will result in a grade of 0.
3. See Canvas > Assignment > Supreme Court Assignment > Rubric for additional grading process.
OBJECTIVE: Understanding the United States legal system, including the role and function of the Supreme Court, is important in the health field. This assignment gives students a hands-on experience of reviewing the Supreme Court online site, select and listen to a Supreme Court oral argument, and present findings.
As noted by the Supreme Court website: The audio recordings of all oral arguments heard by the Supreme Court of the United States are available to the public at the end of each argument week. The audio recordings are posted on Fridays after Conference. Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!
The public may either download the audio files or listen to the recordings on the Court’s Web site. The audio recordings are listed by case name, docket number, and the date of oral argument.
The Court began audio recording oral arguments in 1955. The recordings are maintained at The National Archives and Records Administration. Prior to the 2010 Term, the recordings from one Term of Court were not available until the beginning of the next Term. The Archives will continue to serve as the official repository for the Court’s audio recordings.
1. Go to the Supreme Court of the United States website > Oral Arguments > by clicking on or copying and pasting the link below into your browser: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio.aspx
2. You may choose any case; however, it would be most beneficial to review a case that focuses on health and/or healthcare law.
3. Your paper should be double-spaced, 1” margins, and 2-complete pages.
4. Your paper must contain the following for full credit:
a. Label each paragraph separately; 2-pts for missing labels. You should have 8 distinct labeled paragraphs:
Case information (all must be presented):
• Title: This should be _____________ vs. _____________
• Docket Number
• Date Argued
• Website link (directly to the case)
b. Representing lawyers
c. Number of Supreme Court justices:
• How many were present based on the oral argument?
• What were the names of the justice(s) if available?
• What did these Supreme Court justices note (summarize)?
d. Summary of the case (must be 3-5 paragraphs)
e. Standards cited:
• If none noted, state none
f. Legal terms identified:
• Any previous cases cited?
g. Notation of a lower court’s decision:
• Court type such as circuit noted?
• Any notation of the state’s lower court’s judgment?
h. Personal statement about your experience:
• Did you feel this assignment was worthy to your learning?
• Did you review / listen to more than one case? If yes, provide a brief description.
• Why do you feel that understanding the Supreme Court’s function and role would be important and/or beneficial to the health care professional?
Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!