Research Design and Methodology in Education
Recommended Reading: Creswell, John W. (2015, fifth edition), Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research; Pearson, Merrill, Prentice Hall. ISBN: 9780133831535
1. Quantitative, Qualitative and Critical Approaches to Research. Your postings in this folder should show your understanding of each genre, and assist us as instructors in providing information and guidance to improve your understanding of the genres of research.This forum has three topics. You should make at least two postings in each of these areas, one original and one in response to another persons posting. In your original post, you should post a response or reaction about the genre as you feel appropriate. Likewise, chose someone else’s post which might have tweaked your interest. There are no specific requirements regarding these responses, other than they should be relevant and thoughtful. Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!
2. Planning Quantitative Research — Hypothetical Study. Understanding how to plan, conduct, design, and report research is an essential component of this course.Consult the appropriate sections in the text and your notes as you prepare to posts in this forum. Think of a research topic that you think is important for your classroom or work place, and choose one that you think can be effectively researched using quantitative methods. Related to your chosen topic, write the problem, purpose statement, research question, and hypothesis. Identify the independent and dependent variables of your hypothetical study. Identify your sample and population. Use references, where appropriate, to support the argument you are presenting, because essentially you are providing an argument or rationale for the importance of the research and how you can study the topic.This is not intended to be long, a sentence or two for each should suffice. You can even do this up in point form, if you wish.
3. Types of Quantitative Research: In the previous section on planning research, you dealt briefly with quantitative research designs. In this section, you are expected to study and comment in a more detailed way on the major types of quantitative designs: experimental, correlational, and survey. As well, as being able to identify studies in each major genre, you should be able to identify the type of studies within each genre. In the case of quantitative studies, this means being able to determine whether a study is experimental, correlational, or survey, and be able to critically analyze the extent to which a researcher has used the method chosen appropriately.
4. Your Research Topics Your postings in this folder should show your understanding of Qualitative Research. Submit your topic to Research Topic as a part of this discussion topic. What often works is to look around your place of work, or where you last worked, and name a piece of educational research that you would like to do to better understand the place and the people in it, or how to improve teaching and learning in that place of work [e.g. The effect of school-yard bullying on education in schools]. We ask you to keep that research topic in mind as we cover the various items related to Qualitative and Critical Research. It will help ground your readings and discussions in some reality for you.
5. For this week we will continue our discussions about Qualitative Research while introducing the distinction between methodology and method as it applies to our study of educational research. We will discuss the methodologies of ethnography, case study and grounded theory, and begin to explore the methods of interviews, focus groups, and observations as they might be used in qualitative research data collection and analysis.
6, Applying Qualitative Research: This week we will concentrate on the various methodologies and methods as they apply to your individual research topics. Please be reminded that this exercise is intended to help you make our readings and discussions on educational research a little more real.
Once again, check the readings found in Week Nine Schedule, as the Instructor Notes will be useful, as will the chapters from Creswell and Cohen. The Creswell Subject Index is always a helpful way to zero in on the subject or concept at hand. In terms of postings, I will be encouraging you to share how you would choose a methodology and various methods [using triangulation] for you research topic.
7. Critical Research: this forum provides an opportunity for you to enhance and share your general understanding of Critical Research. Your postings in this folder should show your understanding of Critical Research.
8.Doing critical research: Continue our discussions about Critical Research and we will remind you of the distinction made between methodology and method as it applies to our study of educational research and your research topic. In terms of Critical Research we will focus on the methodologies of critical ethnography, action research, narrative research, and an elaborated discussion on feminist research. We will explore the methods of journal writing, document analysis, as well as interviews, focus groups, observations as they might be used in critical research data collection and analysis.
9. Applying critical Research: concentrate on the various methodologies and methods from a Critical Research approach as they might apply to your individual research topic. The notes, readings, and discussions we have shared during the past two weeks come into play here as you apply them to your chosen topic. By now you have become familiar with the bank of readings in Course Content, as well you are now able to work your way around Creswell in a fashion that allows you to find and focus on specific subjects. We will work along with you, to the best of our distance ability, to help you apply what you know about Critical Research to your topic. your colleagues will do the same. As usual in terms of postings, we will be encouraging you to share how you would choose a methodology and various methods [using triangulation] for your research topic.
Professional Custom Writing Services from the Experts!